Fire rated doors / doorsets, like any other form of engineering, need to be regularly checked and maintained. Failure to maintain a fire door correctly can result in it becoming less effective as a fire barrier and therefore poses an increased risk to both lives and property.
There is also a legal requirement under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 that fire doors - and other fire prevention and fire barriers - are:
- subject to a suitable system of maintenance and are maintained in an efficient state, in efficient working order and in good repair.
Failure to maintain fire safety systems in good order can lead to prosecutions by both the local authority and the fire service resulting in fines and possibly imprisonment.
Comprehensive fire door maintenance service
Building Life (Fire Doors) Ltd provides a comprehensive maintenance service for fire doors and related systems, from assessing the condition of fire rated doors and other fire safety systems, to providing full maintenance support on site.
Regular fire door maintenance, whether carried out by a certified provider like Building Life (Fire Doors) Ltd, or a Competent Person (as defined under The RRO 2005) should ensure the following:
- that there is no damage to the face and edges of the door leaf that could reduce the effectiveness of the door as a fire barrier
- that hinges are properly maintained and aligned ensuring that the door opens and closes correctly
- that there is no damage to the intumescent and or cold smoke seals
- that door closers are fully working and in a good state of repair
- that any glazing and glazing seals within the door are undamaged
- and, that any moving parts / mechanisms are fully functional.
If you use Building Life to maintain your fire doors and related systems, we can ensure that your fire doors will be maintained up to all relevant regulatory requirements.
If you would like to find out more about our maintenance services, please get in touch with us with your requirements.